To assure University owned, occupied, or leased spaces at the OU-Health Sciences Center campuses in Oklahoma City, OU-Tulsa and satellite locations are properly managed and budgeted as a capital asset.
Objectives of the university space management system are to:
Space Planning and Allocation Process
- Maintain and provide a space inventory, including architectural floor plans and related text data.
- Provide meaningful data analysis and modeling of existing and projected space needs.
- Conduct on-going facility audits with the objective of physically verifying all spaces every two years.
- Conduct a review of space allocation on a periodic basis.
- Enable informed decisions and the equitable allocation of space.
The Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost is responsible for the management and allocation of all space owned or leased by the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. For the Oklahoma City campus, the Senior Vice President and Provost delegates substantial responsibility to Facilities Management/Capital Planning. For OU-Tulsa, the President for Tulsa operations delegates substantial responsibility to the Vice-President for University Affairs at Tulsa, with some staff support from the Facilities Management/Capital Planning group in Oklahoma City.
Under the direction of the respective Provost or President, the management process is as follows.
Reports and Work Products
- The assignment of space to and reallocation of space from academic or administrative units is done in collaboration with the college dean or administrative head.
- Facility data analysis and space utilization reviews are conducted, which may result in the reallocation of space.
- Conduct a review of requests for additional space and allocate space as needed within existing resources.
- Complete special studies and reports to support the decision-making process.
- Space Allocation Reports by Campus, Building, College, Department, Program Classification, Room Use Category, and Occupant
- University Facility Reports, Program Class and Room Use Summaries
- Research Expenditures per Net Assignable Square Feet of Research Space and Three Year Trend Reports
- Space Utilization Report including Underutilized/Vacant Space Studies
- Space Reallocation Plans
- Facilities Utilization Survey and Verification
- Research Space Verification for Indirect Cost Recovery
- Distribution of Space for University Annual Report
- National Sciences Foundation Survey Report
- Ad hoc reports and queries
Computer Integrated Facility Management System
Computer hardware tools for facility planning and space allocation consist of a Dell Power Edge 2600 Network Server, Minolta Magicolor 6100 desklaser plotter, a Dell OptiPlex GXi workstation, and access to various network resources. Stations are networked to the campus-wide area network and the Internet.
Software tools are both network and PC based. PC-based tools include Microsoft XP, AutoCAD 2005 for facility graphics and Archibus/FM 14.3 for integrated graphic and data management. MS Word, Excel, MS Access and MS Project Management are also utilized for various special reports and queries.
Archibus/FM 14.3 provides a multiple document interface, enabling users to simultaneously view and work with facilities drawings, databases and business graphics. AutoCAD floor plans and Sybase SQL database manager are fully integrated with the Archibus Space Management Module.
Revised August 9, 2004